Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Whats in a Name?

What is in a name? I'm not sure this is the correct title for what I'm going to be writing about.
I'm trying to understand the purpose of Compound names. A few days ago, I asked my man if it was a problem if i did not change my last name to his after marriage. He told me he really did not care. I have a number of friends, those who changed their names to their husband's, those who added his last name to theirs and those who bluntly refused and still bear their maiden names even though they are married. So I'm curious does it really matter what a woman chooses to bear after she marries her husband?. How about if I honestly dont like my husband's last name or I love my maiden name. Honestly my name right now is short and sweet. But what happens when my kids ask why is your name different from ours? (and yes they'll will, kids ask the weirdest questions) Oh i'm a liberal woman or I hate your father's name. The beauty of it in America is most people call you by your first name or Ms.... as compared to Mrs lagbaja. And honestly who brought up the idea of women changing their last names? I'm really curious

No comments: