Thursday, January 31, 2008

I miss Lagos

I miss Lagos and all of the wahala of living in that place. I came across this picture on flickr and was like, I had to do a post about lagos. This picture reminds me of when I had to take the bus to do my GCE in Oshodi or to CMS for school shopping. No, I never lived in Ikoyi or in VI.(I notice that most people that I ask where they lived in lagos tell me Ikoyi or VI abegi leave story)
Anyway back to my busing experience in Naija, GCE came up just a few months after I left high school or rather the secluded life of boarding school and so I was on my own o. Going to CMS was with my mom, so at least I had company.
I remember the conductors hanging from the bus shouting "Osho-dii, Oshodii, 20 naira wole pelu change e o"( enter the bus with your change) lol. After the bus has been filled with the passengers, the conductor once again telling his Oga(boss/the driver) Oga mi go on sun u. (means go on) I also remember the conductor shouting the different bus stops and people responding 'o wa o' lol. Something that was also funny was "madam shift" na 4 people go sit for back o. But most of all, I remember a time when, there was fuel scarcity or strike, and buses became so scare,okada (motorcycle) was the order of the day, but people I was too scared to take okada from Oshodi home(not to say I had not taken okada on short distances before o).Anyway people started walking ,na so me self join them begin dey waka, I was soo tired when I got home."
Fast forward, a few years later, my first time on the city bus in Fl, I was not sure on how to alert the bus driver about my bus stop. I kept hearing a bell like sound and the bus driver stopping to let people out, I actually got off at the wrong stop because someone got off at that stop. That incident got me very home sick, I missed "o wa o", I also had to walk to the next bus stop which was quite a distance to catch my next bus.
People ask me all the time if I miss home and my answer is always " I miss home alot" Honestly I thank God, I grew up in Lagos and would not trade that experience for anything

No comments: