Sunday, January 20, 2008

I need....

ring ring ring
me: hello
caller: hi madam t
me: D, how are you?
caller: I'm fine, cant talk too long cause I dont have credit on my phone, but
I need $500 because Ihad an accident and i need to register for classes and buy books for school
me: ...but Dele, I'm a student, dont really have that money
caller:Why are you so stingy?Debola(another friend) just sent $1000 to sarah . Is it not the same america that you are, anyway try and send me something.... click(hangs up)

See me see trouble o, $500 ko, $500 ni! Am I supposed to pluck the money from my backyard tree?
Honestly, I'm very curious about what they show on Nigerian TV about people living abroad.Do they honestly think money grows on trees and that we dont have any use for the money we earn.
Most of the money, we earn is used to pay BILLS.
Light bill $90 due on the 15th
car note $275 due on the 30th
mortgage/rent $975 due on the 1st
credit card $100 due on the 15th
Insurance $70 due on the 8th
These are just a few examples of some bills, and trust me you'll get a late fee or even a dent in your credit if you make late payments
Back home, majority of people with cars own them (no car note) home owners, more than likely do not have to pay mortgage, even renters pay at the beginning of the year, light bill (how many people honestly pay on a monthly basis?)ok maybe they have to pay phone bills... hmm think it is a pay as you go system.School fees(every 3 months) so abeg where is your money? I just think I need to call my friends back home and ask them to send me some money or what do you think?Few of my people/friends who come to visit from Naija spend more than I can imagine spending right now. The evidence is in their shopping. They can afford to buy suits worth $200 and bags worth almost $400;something i cannot do without swiping the card
Now if you dont work, thats a different case;but if you have a full time job, abeg dont call me as I have to work my .... off to make a living and the same way you dont send me the money you make, I owe you nothing. I owe my parents, sibling and maybe a few friends who I know really need my help. Aside from that, I owe no man

1 comment:

Ibo-Lawyer said...

AMEN!!!! I fully agree. I remember when I first got to the States, I got a letter from a family member asking me for a cell phone, a walkman, and Tommy Hillfiger clothes. Mind you I was still a freshman in college and had no money. Not to talk of the fact, that I did not own any of the requested items myself. I calmly let my family member know it would be a cold day in hell before he got the stuff :-)
I don't mind giving when I can and when it is to someone deserving, but when people call me with this air of entitlement, I pretty much tell them where to go. Nice post.