Saturday, January 19, 2008

My Nappy Self

I'm going to start by saying that i'm a lover of nappiness(kinky hair). For some strange reason, I also love the word nappy or kinky, it makes me feel a connection with my hair.For people who have a problem with the word, no offense.
My decision to go nappy was very coincidental, my hairdresser at the time kept cutting my permed hair everytime i went to visit because she said it was damaged. The last time she cut it, i got soo frustrated and made up my mind to stay away from the perm for about six months. Once my natural started to grow out, i just loooved it and never went back to the perm and my prayer at that time was"God, dont let me die, let me enjoy my hair for a while" lol. Four years later and i'm still loooving my hair despite all my initial experiments. A lot that i've learnt about my hair has come from motown girl and afrobella. Thank you girls, you helped me keep my nappy hair despite all the critism from family and friends.
Now mind you, i live in a small town, where 50% of the population is black but natural hair is generally seen as unkempt and horrible. I have actively looked for a hairdresser for my hair, only to be told "we only work with straight hair (permed hair). I've also seen less than 5 people with nappy hair in my school. Moving from a big city where a good number of ladies wear their hair nappy to a small town, where everyone and their mama wears their hair straight(despite the condition of their hairlines)is quite dissappointing for me.
My home country is not any better, as most Nigerians wear their hair straight.Nappy hair is seen as being poor or unpolished. I'm not trying to bash sisters with straight hair, understand that how you choose to wear your hair is your business as how I choose to wear my hair is my business abi (right)?
anyway to the ladies in the house who have lots of strands of hair, or few strands of hair i say ROCK ON

1 comment:

Ibo-Lawyer said...

Your post came at the right time. I recently took down my twists and was seriously contemplating putting a perm in my hair. But I didn't. Thank God. Sometimes I have to remind myself how much I love my nappy hair with all its kinks and curls.
Nice blog, and welcome to blogville. Hopefully you'll update more than me...lol