Saturday, January 26, 2008

Misconceptions

Whenever I identify myself as a Nigerian to people who don't know me,I sometimes get asked the weirdest questions, I'm sure if you are foreign born and speak with a so called accent, you can identify with me.Some questions I have been asked and my sarcastic answers include:

1.Q Is Mandela the president of Africa?
A. Yes, he is
2. Q.Do you ride camels in Africa, as in is it your main form of transportation?
A. Yes, the camels have parking spaces
3.Q Did you come to America on a boat?
A.Slave trade ended long ago, what are planes for?
4. Do you wear clothes/shoes back home?
A. No, we roam about naked
5. Q.How come you speak English so well?
A. We speak English in my country
6. Q. How come you're so pretty?
A. How come you are so ugly?
7. Q.Do you know .... his father is the king of Nigeria?
A. Yes, so is my father
8. Do you have houses in Africa?
A. We live in trees with the monkeys
9. Do you have Music?(honestly)
A. We dance to the rustling of the leaves
10. Can you speak afrikaan?
A. No, I speak Yoruba.
11. Are you of the Zulu tribe?
A. No, I'm of the Yoruba tribe
12. Did you ever watch TV back home
A. No we watch ourselves
13. Have you seen tigers?
A. No I've seen chickens

These are only a few of the many I can remember off the top of my head, If you have any, you'll like to share, please don't hesitate to do so

A 10 year old girl also just recently told me that she has visited Nigeria but was not able to visit Africa (lol, I'm not making this up)

2 comments:

Ibo-Lawyer said...

My favorite dumb question will always be "do you have air-conditioning in Nigeria?"
This questions was asked by a so called smart girl who got admitted into both medical and law school.

Intuitive Girl (I.G) said...

Americans are way tooooooo ignorant- even about their own country. the worst is when Nigerians who are now American - adopt that mentality of being clueless.It is such a shame and truth be told- i have zero tolerance for it!!